Breakfast Oatmeal Cupcakes
These breakfast oatmeal cupcakes are one of my favorite things to eat on rushed mornings. They are quick to make, portable and non-messy, and easy to eat at a desk… or pack in a lunchbox!
Just throw a couple into your bag, perhaps along with a container of peanut butter and some fresh fruit, and you’re good to go with a balanced breakfast.
- 5 cups rolled oats
- 2 1/2 cups over-ripe mashed banana
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp pure maple syrup, agave, or honey OR stevia equivalent amount
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 1/3 cups water (Increase to 2 2/3 cups if using stevia)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp coconut OR veg oil
- 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- optional add-ins: cinnamon, shredded coconut, chopped walnuts, ground flax or chia, wheat germ, raisins, dried fruit, etc.
- Preheat oven to 380 F, and line 24-25 cupcake tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir very well.
- In a separate bowl, combine and stir all wet ingredients (including banana).
- Mix wet into dry, then pour into the cupcake liners and bake 21 minutes. I also like to then broil for 1-2 minutes, but it’s optional.
These oatmeal cakes can be eaten right away, or they can be frozen and reheated for an instant breakfast on a busy day.