MOZZARELLA CHEESE STICKS RECIPE
I’m sure you won’t be surprised when I say that mozzarella cheese sticks are, in fact, absolutely delicious! Generally, they’re a crowd-pleaser, I’ve seen the pickiest people actually enjoy them, so I’m happy to come here and share this recipe with you guys.
Now, just to be clear, I do know there are people who love them fried, but I’m also well aware that there may be some of you who would normally restrain from enjoying them for various reasons, which is why I will share two ways of making them. The first one being the obvious one, fried and the other one would be the healthier option, baked mozzarella cheese sticks.
Without further ado, let us jump straight into the recipes!
FRIED Mozzarella Cheese Sticks Recipe
- 1 ½ cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 130g freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package Mozzarella cut into 4cm x 1cm sticks
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 quart oil for deep frying
- ¾ cup marinara sauce
- ¼ cup water
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- In a small bowl, mix the eggs and water.
- Mix the bread crumbs and garlic salt in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, blend the flour and cornstarch.
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the oil to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C)
- One at a time, coat each mozzarella stick in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, then in the bread crumbs, and finally into the oil.
- Fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
BAKED Mozzarella Cheese Sticks Recipe
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 sticks string cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce, heated
- Place flour in a shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl, beat eggs and water.
- In a third shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Coat cheese sticks with flour, then dip in the egg mixture and coat with bread crumb mixture.
- Repeat the egg and bread crumb coatings.
- Cover and freeze for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet; spray with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until heated through.
- Wait 3-5 minutes before serving.
TIP: I recommend serving with marinara or spaghetti sauce for dipping.